Sydney Harbour Research Project
New Sydney Harbour Research Project website now live, click here to explore.
SIMS is planning a broad-based multidisciplinary research project. The objectives are to identify, preserve and enhance the resilience of those species and habitats in Sydney Harbour that have high ecosystem and conservation value, and to enhance the capacity of relevant government departments to make key management decisions regarding the Harbour.
There are a number of NSW and Australian Government organisations already involved in work in, and around Sydney Harbour. SIMS proposes close co-operation with those organisations in a collaborative research project. A key objective will be to ensure that all data is publicly accessible via a central database. This will ensure maximum use of data for policy decisions and education.
The other major component of the project will be a focus on public outreach. This will encompass corporations, philanthropic institutions, schools and the community at large. Because the research will cover the whole extent of the Harbour, right up to Parramatta and beyond and the whole of Middle Harbour, we aim to engage a very broad cross-section of the community throughout the whole of Sydney.
It is SIMS’ vision that the first phase of the project will last five years with a budget of at least $10 million. It is anticipated that 75% of the budget will be devoted to science with the remaining 25% to public outreach. A key objective in the implementation of this project will be to ensure high quality management of both the science and the outreach components.